Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Art Journaling with Gelatos


Marjie Kemper here, happy to share an art journal page I made using Faber Castell's gelatos.  I picked up a lot of tips taking classes with Donna Downey last weekend, and now I can't seem to pry the gelatos out of my hands!  

All the colors are so rich and creamy, and the appearance can range from brilliant to muted depending on how you apply them.  This page is made with small shipping tags painted with gesso, then colored with gelatos.

I used two blues, a yellow, and black, rubbing the color into the tags with my fingers.  You get different effects rubbing with a dry finger or when using water (just lightly wet your fingers) so feel free to experiment to find the style you like.


I took two extra tags, treated them the same way with gesso and gelatos, then stamped with the Market Street tiny alpha background stamp and Cobalt archival ink. I like the look of the stamped tags on top of the plain tag background. 



I used some favorite Stencil Girl stencils for the starbursts and the number border from the new Balzer Designs Tickets stamp set.  The DREAM letter stamps and fountain pen are oldies from my stash, stamped with Jet Black Staz-On.


So grab your journal and have a play with gesso and gelatos.  Kim has them in every color possible!




11 comments:

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Gorgeous, Marjie. I love the boldness of the black against the blues. I haven't played with gelatos, but they look wonderful.

Kim said...

Beautiful Marjie! I love the tags covered with the text type and the black against the blue is stunning!

Yvonne said...

Hi Alison, I've just been browsing your blog! Gorgeous creations!

Carolyn Dube said...

Love the texture and color caught in all the texture!

Redanne said...

Hi Marjie, I like the idea of the tag background which gives dimension on its own but the addition of the stencilling in black really makes the piece pop. Love the gorgeous blues and the stamping of the letters. Not seen gelatos here in the UK yet but will keep any eye out, they look like fun! Hugs, Anne x

Julia S-W said...

This looks wonderful Marjie. The blues against the black stencilling make the whole thing glow with light! A stunning journal page.
I've not seen gelatos here either but I did find some children's soluble wax crayons which are surprisingly good!
Juliax

Judy Shea said...

Marjie..this is delicious. Deep colors, textures are perfect..what else could you ask for?

Maureen Hayes said...

I've been using Gelatos for almost a year and I LOVE them for so many reasons. They are wonderful for mixed media, art journaling, card making, stamping, you can do so much with these great little color sticks! You can buy them online if you can't find them locally. That's what I did.

Beautiful page Marjie, love the way you used the colors and the tags!

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - amazing technique... and the colours of the gelatos look amazing. Love the stencilling over the tags, gives such great texture...
Alison xx

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

This is gorgeous! I love the blues.

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Oh how wonderful! I would love to get some of these gelatos! They look like they are great!!