Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Every Possibility Journal Page

Hi there everyone and happy Saturday!!  Who is ready for the holidays?  I'm almost there...and since it's been a quiet few days I'm hoping to get in some crafting time next week.  How about you?

Today I'm here to share a few journal pages that I created last weekend.  (Does anyone else have a hard time not making two pages at once?  I just can't help making these big 'ol spreads...love 'em!)  This post is stock full of photos and details so sit back, relax, and enjoy browsing!

I created these pages in my Dylusions Journal, which is a the best journaling book out there...a full 9x12 inches of paper goodness!  I started by applying white gesso to both pages.  While the gesso was still wet I attached a few random pieces of tissue paper newsprint.  I love the tissue paper because it gets all wrinkled when it's dry...fabulous!
Once the gesso was dry I grabbed a few paint dabbers (I used Cloudy Blue, Willow, and Eggplant on these pages) and got crazy!  I used a brush to apply the Cloudy Blue to the top of the page and then just dumped some Willow on the bottom and rubbed it around with my hands (your fingers make great blending tools!)  
 And for some serious contrast I added the Eggplant.  Love the dark against the lighter colors.  I smooshed (technique term) the paint around and let everything completely dry before moving on.

  
 Next I used the Mini Cursive Alpha stencil and Vintage Photo Distress Ink to add another background design element.  I'm a huge fan of text so I love the addition of the random text over the page pages.
  
Then I grabbed my new Donna Downey stamps from Unity!  These babies are huge (look at the size of those flowers!) and are perfect for large projects.  These definitely aren't the best pick for cards because of the size.  You're going to need to get altered to use these stamps!  Yippee!  I stamped the Hollyhocks stamp in the background but there were some changes that came up after I stamped these and I'll explain that change further down in the post. 

I next stamped the Poppy Background stamps in Archival Ink on my page for placement.  (After I finished the pages I wished that I had stamped the flowers across the entire bottom of my pages...next time...)

 My next step was to do some paper piecing with these beautiful flowers.  Since the images are large, they were super easy to cut out.  I used paper from the October Afternoon Farm Girl paper pad.  I used Matte Medium to glue the paper flowers to the journal page and just colored the stems with my Distress Markers.

At this point I noticed that the Distress Ink I had used to stamp the Hollyhocks image was not drying on top of the paint so...change of plans!  I used a paper towel to gently rub the ink away, which just added more beautiful color to the pages, and then I used the Chevron stencil and a Gold paint dabber (gold is the perfect addition to any page) to add a bit more design.
You can see that great gold accent on my final picture (click on any picture for a closer look).  The final steps included added a butterfly, using the Layered Butterfly stencil from The Crafters Workshop, a hand drawn "trail", and black paint circles around three words that were printed on the tissue paper and still visible, "forgive," "time," and "flourish."  Cool, right?  Did I want "drippage" from those circles?  You bet I did but there's no India Ink in my studio...do you think I'm going to get some of that ink?  You better believe it!  But black acrylic paint did the trick this time around!  My last bit was to add a sentiment (from my BFF Tim...ok, he's not my BFF but he should be, shouldn't he?)

Overall, I was happy with the page but feel like it's still missing something...I think I'm still a bit hesitant to go too crazy with the elements but I'm getting there and the best part?  I'm having a blast!  Come on and get altered with eP!

Enjoy and best wishes for a joyful and blessed holiday!!

7 comments:

Marjie Kemper said...

Coolest flowers ever! Love these pages, Kim. Your layers of color and stamping are fabulous and really pulled me in. I just bought some India Ink after seeing DD last weekend... she convinced me it's a must!

Words and Pictures said...

How fabulous seeing the layers build up like that! Wonderful pages...
Alison x

Rea' said...

I like looking at the journal pages!
Ecletic Paperie got me interested in an art journal... I have not gotten back to mine yet ...BUT I'm looking forward to it !

Pia said...

beautiful pages. A Happy Christmas to you
hugs Pia

JoZart Designs said...

so lovely to watch the pages evolve with each photo and the end result is great. It's good to see something non Christmas too!
Last year I subscribed FREE to Creative Jump Start...
take a look here...

http://nathaliesstudio.com/2012/12/20/creative-jumpstart-2013/

and thoroughly enjoyed getting into crafting immediately into the New Year.
Thanks for all your visits and for all your inspiration!
Have a great Christmas and a creative 2013
Jo x

Di@Cottage-Wishes said...

just beautiful, the flowers are great. Merry Christmas, Di

Joan V said...

Loved how your pages turned out. thanks for the inspiration.