Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 26, 2013

Art Journal Play ……Dina Style

Hi everyone! 
Micki here to share an art journal page which was inspired by the awesome Dina Wakley.   
Generally my art journals have just art, a couple of stamped words and maybe a short sentence, but no real journaling.  I’ve never been really good at putting my thoughts to paper and making it sound good.  Too worried about spelling, grammar and then there is the “not liking my handwriting” thing. 
I’m taking part in Life Book 2013 and Dina Wakley contributed a bonus lesson this week.  

After watching the lesson, I was so inspired to not worry about my handwriting, or my grammar or spelling because it basically gets covered up.  I learned all of this back in March when I took several of her classes in Oklahoma City, but like a good movie, I always pick up something that I missed the first time.  Anyway, so I put pen to paper and journaled my thoughts, not worrying about it making sense or sounding right, or spelling or even the handwriting.  I actually exaggerated my handwriting.   I video taped it and did my first video editing in iMovie so I know I have a lot to learn.  Especially about zooming in, but you can still see what I do.

I used lots of paints;  from Distress Paints, Distress Stain, Dylusions Ink Spray and Adirondack Paint Dabbers to Golden Fluid Acrylics and Faber-Castel Gelatos.  I also raided the kitchen and bathroom, looking for different sized bottle caps.  So much fun, and honestly after journaling and putting my troubles to paper, which hopefully no one can read (but I know what I wrote), I felt so much better. 

First I'll share the end result and then the video.








The page on the right was an earlier page which I'm not quite sure I'm finished with.  But girls, I had so much fun and my page was done in under an hour!  Really!  And that is a record for me.

 And now the video:  

Sure hope it works. And again, so sorry about not zooming in.  What can I say I got lost in the moment.
A couple of things in the video:
  • The page already had a thin coat of Claudine Hellmuth Gesso on it.  I actually prep several pages at a time, that way I'm always ready to go.  I had also used the page as my stencil-stamp-brush cleaner which is why you will see that the page already had some color/design on it.
  • Cleaning off the stencils (on the white copy paper) with a baby wipe turned out pretty cool.  I'm so keeping that.
  • I dabbed the Distress Paint in the upper corner and then picked up paint with my stamp from that puddle.
  • I added a light layer of paint to my stamp using my finger, slightly spritzed it with water and then stamped randomly. Gave a very faint impression. 
  • An old toothbrush cleans stamps fabulously.  Gets all the paint out of the crevices.  (The only time I am OCD about cleaning stamps is when using paint.)
  • At the end, you'll see me testing the gelato colors, I was trying to see which color would work best.
  • I went back and added stickles to the collar, which was a piece of white doily.
  • The title and date were added using watered down fluid acrylics and a fine line applicator.
I hope you were inspired to play.  Art is definitely cheaper than therapy :-).






Supplies Used:

6 comments:

Donna-Marie said...

WOW!!!
What a creation...the video really told the story...a true work of art for sure :-)
I learned how to use her stencils in a new way...thanks!!!
I will be watching again...great song as well

toni said...

Loving your journal pages! Fabulous layering of colours. I can't see your video on my ipad as there doesn't seem to be a link will see if it is there on my laptop, I'll let you know x

Anonymous said...

Fabulous page Micki ! Just off to check out the video now ! Sue C x

Kim said...

Love it, Micki! And I'm just like you...hate my writing, what do I write, etc. but I've started just going for it and trying to enjoy the process...even if it just means jotting down a quick thought. Can't wait to see your video! The page is beautiful!

Sandy said...

Love the colors.
Sandy

Tracy said...

Whoot whoot Micki...love it..I know what you nean about journaling too..hate my writing but I have been trying to add more so that in years to come my journals will be keepsakes for the boys.
Ooooh a video..wont play on my phone so will pop it on the big pc tomorrow...can't wait.
Big hugs
Tracy xxx