Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

French Patisserie


Hi, Lucy here for my third post as Guest Designer. Today's wall hanging started life as a humble jam tart tin like this:-

 I wanted it to have a French Industrial theme using Tim's paper stash which you can get here, so this dictated my colour scheme and embellishments and I decided to paint the tin red, which is the boldest colour in the paper line, with crackle over the top and then a very industrial-looking grey so only a little red showed through:-


I used the Tim Holtz Sized Circles die to cut my favourite pieces from the papers and I wanted some sections to be plainer than others so I didn't over-egg the pudding (I have a tendency to overdo things!). I edged each piece with red paint as I had a dirty piece of cut n dry on my workdesk! I used the TH Memoirs stamps for the shrink plastic Eiffel Tower and Frenchman and 'grounded' them with some of the Remnant Rubs which I used in strategic places over the whole piece - this made such a difference to how it came together - loving these!

In this first row I have used a die cut Tim Holtz mini clock key, and cogs, which I rusted up with Distress EP, and on the right a shrink plastic hot air balloon from Tim Holtz Tiny Things stamp set - wow, you must get this stamp set!! I have used some charm frames from my stash throughout, rubbed with a little white paint for a shabby chic look, but you could use the Maya Road ones here, or the Tim Enamelled Tags here, which would be awesome. I chose the Tim Wordband which reads, 'The Journey Awakens the Soul' as I felt my Paris theme went with the idea of a journey, and again rubbed it with white paint. The twill to hang it up with is knotted through this and has been stamped with the Tim butterfly from Tiny Things and the harlequin from one of his old sets (you all have that one, right?!).


The industrial-looking valve embellishment was a bit of fun at my husband's expense! It operates our central heating boiler - but which is the real one and which is clay???? He was very shocked that I had stolen it and stuck it on my project! I told him Tim said it was ok.


In this photo you can see the Tiny Things stamped Eiffel Tower on Shrink Plastic (yes, I know, it wasn't small enough for me already!), and the globe from the same set stamped on the French Industrial paper and cut out, and the clock with a round Tim Holtz Fragment on it. The hot air ballon is a Remnant Rub.


The butterflies and crown are also Remnant Rubs. I used some Wendy Vecchi Embossing Paste mixed with the red paint through TCW Harlequin Stencil around the tin, and once it was dry, highlighted the raised areas with some watered-down Viva Ferro. I went slightly over the 'colour theory' ratio of the amount of red you should use on a project!


You can also see in this photo the birds from the Tiny Things set, again stamped on French Industrial paper and added to an oval frame and filled with Glossy Accents. And in the right hand section I have accented the cylist image with a bike charm from my stash, overlaid with a Penny Farthing charm on the back wheel, and rubbed with white paint.


In this photo some pen nibs from my collection to accent the vintage typewriter from the paper stash:-


Phew! Are you still with me?! I've still got loads of these gorgeous papers left for next week's project (my last one, boo hoo!) - and you'll be pleased to hear it's nice and short. Thank you so much for your kind comments so far.


14 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

what a great idea! looks fab finished! trace x hugs x

Brenda Brown said...

Brilliant transformation.
Hugs Brenda xxx

toni said...

Ingenious idea ! very creative love all the little Embellishments great project ! X

Unknown said...

Oh what a clever idea - no wonder Colin is outside painting the house, I bet he's afraid that if he stands still too long that you might feel the urge to paint and alter him

PetraB said...

I absolutely love what Lucy has done with the tray. I saw it in real life and the transformation is brilliant!

Terry said...

How clever you are! Love that crackled background and texture! Love this altered tin!

Yvonne Garner said...

What a brilliant idea and gorgeous transformation! Thanks for topping by my blog today! It is most appreciated! Best, Yvonne

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, what a lovely idea... the crackle gives it such a fab distressed look, and I love each individual "frame"... great use of the papers, and fab stamping too!
Alison x

Helen J said...

Some really clever ideas, I particularly like the the red valve thing!
Helen

Lynne Moncrieff said...

This is FUN!
Wishes
Lynne

Tracy said...

Wow Lucy who would have thought that the humble jam tart tin could look soooo beautiful! You acheived your aim to give it a French Industrial feel and I adore it..feel the urge to go shopping for some tins now,lol.
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxox

Mickie said...

Now I know what to do with my old rusty one!

Marjie Kemper said...

What a neat project! Super fun and creative.

Michele said...

this is outstanding! so creative. xo