Micki here to share a quick "get-me-in-the-mood-for-fall" mixed media canvas, utilizing left over paper scraps, ink soaked paper towel pieces, Dina Wakley stencils and paints, some Dylusions Ink Sprays, Distress Paints and those yummy Wendy Vecchi archival ink pads.
Fall is my most favorite time of the year - I love all the seasons but Fall is the favorite! With the transition into Fall, summer time weather seems to have returned here in the mid-west and it has been hard to get "into" the fall spirit. My daughter and son-in-law planted their own vegetable garden this year and planted some pumpkins. The girls loved the vegetable garden, but their excitement knew no bounds when the pumpkins started sprouting. Although their pumpkins are not big enough to be used for carving Halloween faces, they are perfect for decor and that gave me the idea for my Autumn Bounty canvas.
I used a black gesso'd canvas (which I completely forgot I had in my closet) and grabbed lots of scrapbook papers in blues, greens and of course, orange. Using the blue papers for the sky and the greens for grass, I laid down ripped and torn paper pieces on the canvas using Gel Medium to glue them down. I knew my pile of pumpkins would be in the center, therefore leaving the center empty.
Next I added stenciling, first with Dylusions Ink Sprays: London Blue through the Luscious Leaves stencil and Cut Grass through 7 Dots Studio's Nature Walk Damask Mask stencil. This was followed by applying a thin layer of Studio 490's Translucent Embossing Paste through Prima's Decor I stencil using Ranger's Craft Scraper. Before removing the stencil, I lightly sprayed Dylusions London Blue Ink Spray over the stencil. I knew I would be adding more paints and wanted to make sure that the ink would stay put. Once the embossing paste dried, the ink is permanent. At this point, I also added Dina Wakley's Spinners stencil using white paint. You can see that I also rubbed white paint over the raised (dried) embossing paste.
Next up was cutting out various shapes of pumpkins and gluing these onto the canvas. Once dry, paint was added. Trying to create various shades of orange, I added Dina Wakley Heavy Body Acrylic paints then adding Distress Paints and mixing these right on the canvas:
To start building some depth, I added more paints, including Distress Paints. Once dry, continued to built depth and layers with watercolor pencils, Faber-Castell Big Brush Markers and the black Gelato which I smeared with my finger.
As the final touch I added texture with Dina Wakley's Textures stamp set and Unity's Classified Newsprint stamp and Archival Ink. The sentiment was typed onto a piece of book paper edge, cut and glued with gel medium. I lightly added doodling with a black pen and edged the canvas with black gelato which I then blended with my finger. I also had some old sewing stitches rub-ons which were also added.
This canvas came together rather quickly which is a good thing because I wanted to join in this month's ePlay Challenge! Made it just in time :-).
As always, I hope you were inspired to grab your inks, paints and stencils and get creative!